[photo] See caption below for details.

A wooden freight house was built in Stevenson in 1856 and the M&C report for that year states that "it is contemplated to build a passenger house and a covered platform for transshipping freight, to be built and used in common by the Nashville and Chattanooga Railroad and ours.

That proposed depot was built in 1858 and survived the Civil War. It was replaced by the current brick structure in 1872.

From Jack Daniel's book, Southern Railway: From Stevenson to Memphis (Grandmother Earth Creations: Germantown, TN, 1996).