Built in 1901, the Gay Building is located at 115 East Laurel Street, making this one of the oldest buildings on the square. It is two-story, painted-brick building. The ground floor has been altered. There are four recessed window bays on the second floor separated by brick pilasters with corbeled end and decorative brick work in the tops of the bays and segmental arched windows. It is currently a law office.

In the 1956 phone book, this building is home to Derrick Insurances and Real Estate. In the 1961 phone book, it is home to Hembree Realty and Insurance and to R. M. Starkey Sr. Real Estate. In 1975, Hembree Insurance is still at this location.

Current view: Law Offices of Jack Livingston and Daryl Eustace

1949: Majestic Cafe in yearbook

1950: Sadler and Kennamer in yearbook

The JCHA Facebook group agreed that this business was located in the Gay Building. The Kennamer involved was MacDonald Kennamer, Bill Parks’ uncle. Tammy Bradford remembers that when she was growing up, Mr. Sadler worked in the Shoe Department at Dunnevants in Huntsville.

Gay Building in 1975

Derrick Real Estate ad from the 1956 phone book

Hembree Insurance ad from the 1961 phone book